Friday, August 6, 2010

In the beginning

Here I am, starting another bloggy.

Why?

Well because I need to have a way to document my progress with trying to make my life a bit healthier. With recent health developments that have surfaced with my mother, I really need to take charge of my life and learn from her choices. I am taking my mom's current situation and using it as my inspiration.

In just 4 short days she will begin her final steps to prepare for some serious weight loss surgery. To look at my mom, or myself for that matter, you would not believe what that scale says. We both carry our weight pretty high - which means we are more likely to have carious health issues related to the heart. Around the time of my pregnancy with the Buddha Bear, my mom was diagnosed with diabetes. I was borderline gestational, but many American women are due to our horrible eating habits. Since then my mom has began insulin shots. This is not something I look forward to in my future.

So with her doctor recommended surgery firmly planted in the back of my mind, I too will make a concentrated effort in changing my eating habits, to help support her as well. Granted she will be on protein drinks for a while, and eventually will come back to eating solids - I am going to try a different approach. I am going to try to become a vegetarian. I have debated with even going vegan. But I figured baby steps are needed to help push me in the right direction - especially since I am the one that cooks for my household with 5 other people. Why not make the others follow suit? Well the Buddha Bear will be easier to move - the only meat he really cares for is chicken, eggs and cheese. He all ready loves his veggies, he loves salad, green beans and edemame. Three of the other four are adults, and they can make their own decisions. The fourth is a tween that I am thankful no longer lives off of crappy chicken nuggets, minced meat fish sticks and tater tots (though he does request them from time to time, which makes them a "treat" instead of the norm). 

I have not decided what direction I will take this blog - as in what all I will include. But - tomorrow we will get all the measurements posted, so that we will have a starting point!

No comments:

Post a Comment